Installing cross-compiler for PowerPC 603, pSOS

Doug Evans dje@transmeta.com
Sat Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2000

Moore, Jason writes:
 > >Here are some issues I need to address:
 > >- should the cross-compiler be installed in the same dir as the native
 > >compiler, and then be called with a special flag, or should it be
 > >installed in a whole new directory altogether?
 >
 > I believe that it has to me installed in a separate directory, but I am not
 > sure.  Everything I have read suggest that you must have 2 separate
 > compilers.  One native, and one cross.  One solution is to create a script
 > that can determine which version to use.

They _can_ be installed in the same directory (if by same directory you
mean same value for --prefix). gcc for the native host is named "gcc".
gcc for the target by default is named "${target_alias}-gcc".

 > You can install binutils in the same place as your other binutils, where
 > "ld" currently sits, but you must be sure to configure it for both your
 > target and host emulation modes, or else you'll have a linker that only does
 > one or the other.  Running the binutils "configure" with the
 > "--enable-targets='target','host'" will accomplish this.

Methinks you've got things confused a tad.
There's no need to specify --enable-targets for the task at hand.
Certainly you don't need a linker that handles both host and target.

As with gcc, non-native versions of as,ld,objdump,etc. get installed
as ${target_alias}-{ad,ld,objdump,etc.}.  e.g. if you've configured
binutils for powerpc-eabi then you'll get powerpc-eabi-ld, etc.
Note however that these versions of as,ld are not what gcc uses.
${target_alias}-ld is for the user should s/he ever want to call it
directly. A copy of the target linker is installed in (assuming prefix
specified and exec-prefix isn't) $prefix/$target_alias/bin, and this
is what gcc uses.