gas as cross assembler for hitachi on irix host

Kristian Hogsberg Kristensen hogsberg@daimi.au.dk
Tue May 11 14:45:00 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm trying to set up egcs as cross compiler with target
h8300-hitachi-hms on an Irix 6.5 host, and I cant get it working.  Now
egcs itself appears to be working; the problem seems to be with gas
that produces object files with "truncated offsets".  I've got a
working setup on a Linux box, and feeding the .s file produced on the
Irix hosted egcs to the Linux hosted gas and then back to the Irix
hosted gld works allright.  Also trying to link an Irix assembled .s
file on the Linux box fails.

When trying to link, gld complains

  stuff.o(.text+0x119):stuff.c: relocation truncated to fit: DISP8 L8+ff
  [many more]

When doing a coffdump on the Linux assembled and the Irix assembled .s
file and diff'ing, the only differences are of the form:

  (119 .L8 ffffffff)  in the Linux version

  (119 .L8 ff)        in the Irix version

The corresponding piece of assembly code is

        [...]
        cmp.w   r0,r2
        bge     .L8
        mov.w   r0,r2
.L8:
        mov.w        @(-18,r6),r5
        [...]

and L8 isn't referenced elsewhere.

I've tried compiling binutils using egcs-1.1.2, Irix native cc and
even gcc-2.8.1.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
regards, Kristian