CrossGCC FAQ update.

Michael Schwingen rincewind@discworld.dascon.de
Sun May 9 15:09:00 GMT 1999

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 07:24:52PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

[libiberty]
> It contains some miscellaneous, well, stuff. It tries to fill some of the
> gaps that can arise due to platform incompatibilities.
>
> > > Do I need it ?
> Yes.
>
> > > Do I have a choice ?
>
> No. It is required by gcc and others.

Hm - when compiling, or on the target?

Until now, my projects worked just fine with just libgcc.a, however my
experience is limited to m68k and PPC. Did I miss some case where I would
really need libiberty?

> To reduce the number of multilibs, edit the appropriate file commencing with
> "t-" in the relevant subdirectory of gcc/config. For example, the options
> for m68k-elf are in "gcc/config/m68k/t-m68kelf". The macros to change are
> MULTILIB_OPTIONS, MULTILIB_DIRNAMES, MULTILIB_MATCHES and
> MULTILIB_EXCEPTIONS.

Ah, great - that *definitely* belongs in the FAQ, IMHO.

> >  - how do I disable building all these other libraries I do not need, but
> >    which cause compilation errors sometimes?
>
> The simplest answer is probably just to move them out of the way
> temporarily. Even just renaming them will work, e.g. "mv libstdc++
> libstdc++.foo"

That's what I did (and edit the toplevel Makefile, IIRC). However, it would
be nice if I could simply tell configure that I want to build a 'small'
compiler without the optional stuff - that would make it a lot easier do
automatically build new compiler versions.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen