gdb via BDM or Ethernet?

Scott Howard scott@objsw.com
Thu May 6 10:58:00 GMT 1999

Pollak Leon wrote:

>         I am sorry to repeat the question, but I didn't see my message on the list.
>
>         In our project we use MPC860 and the application utilizes ALL its SCCs
> (SCC1 for Ethernet) and SMCs. So there is no serial channel free for debug.
> The only two opportunities I see are BDM and Ethernet.
>         I know about the BDM support in gdb for Cygwin, but this way appears to be
> very very very slow (why?).

I haven't tried the BDM support under Cygwin, so I can't comment on
that. Our next release of the compiler/debugger/newlib will include BDM
support for CPU32, MPC5xx and MPC8xx targets.  Using this interface, gdb
reports download speeds of about 110K bits per second on a Pentium host.
Should be out around the end of the month.

Scott

>         So, do somebody know something which may help? Is there Ethernet option in
> gdb? I heard about Cygnus developing BDM support for Linux, is it true?
>         A lot of thanks for any advices.

There is ethernet support in gdb, on most hosts. If your target system
to support one of the debug protocols available in gdb, and it has an
ethernet port, then you're set.

Scott