CrossGCC FAQ update.

Scott Howard scott@objsw.com
Wed May 5 04:03:00 GMT 1999

Brendan Simon wrote:

> I think that the crossGCC FAQ is in dire need of being updated.  Most people
> are using egcs when building cross compilers (well that's the impression that
> I get).  The current FAQ refers to GCC-2.8.1, building libstdc++ from
> seperate sources, etc.  Maybe we should have a seperate section for EGCS or
> start a new FAQ "crossEGCS" ?

Now that EGCS has become the 'official' version of gcc, it makes sense
to update the FAQ to track EGCS. I think we could probably keep the
'crossgcc' name, though, to avoid confusion.

Maybe the
> version numbers of the FAQ could be in sync with the gcc version numbers.

Probably only need to support the latest version of the tools, and maybe
one or two versions back.

> The FAQ desperately needs a section on header files for the target.  How to
> install or pre-install them.  I constantly have problems building cross
> compilers because of header files not being found.  I'm not sure where to get
> them (newlib ?) or from another system (eg. linux, cygwin, mingw, etc).

Can you provide some details on the problems you encountered? I will add
the info to the FAQ.

> I think the library section can be elaborated upon.  What is libiberty ?  Do
> I need it ?  Do I have a choice ?
>
> Maybe a section on ELF and a section on the specs file.  This could be
> minimal introduction stuff with pointers to more detailed documentation.

These are good suggestions. Much of this stuff is poorly documented
and/or hard to find, or are not documented from the point of view of an
embedded developer.

> These are my initial thoughts.  I'm sure there are others that would have
> suggestions on new contents for the FAQ and possibly to improve existing
> information.  Please put your thoughts forward and lets keep on improving the
> FAQ.  Hopefully the FAQ can get to the stage where most (if not all) of the
> basic questions can be answered without bombarding the list (I know that's
> what I tend to do.  What other options are there ?)

Thanks for the suggestions Brendan.

Anyone else having input on this, please send it to scott@objsw.com ;
over the next few weeks I will be updating the FAQ and I will
incorporate as many ideas as I can.

Scott Howard
scott@objsw.com