Problem building binutils

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 29 19:02:00 GMT 1999

"Dave Hansen" <dhansen@btree.com> writes:

> Next, of course, is gcc.  Your FAQ discusses egcs, but I had read
> previously in Cygnus' egcs site that Cygwin was not supported, so I
> downloaded gcc 2.8.1.  I followed your suggestions (e.g., removing
> the objc directory and linking the newlib and libgloss directories)
> and ran configure, which seemed to work, but "make cross" (or "make
> all install" for that matter) tries to run autoconf, which I don't
> seem to have.
>
> Any suggestions here?  Or should I just download egcs and build it as
> you suggest in your docs?  I'm willing to do that, but I hate to
> think my multi-megabyte download of gcc was wasted...

I would strongly suggest using egcs-1.1.x (preferably x = 2) and Cygwin
b20.1 for a stable environment.

egcs has tons of fixes, some of which are critical fixes when hosting
(and some when targetting) on win32, that are not in gcc-2.8.1. Cygwin
b20.1 is at least an order of magnitude more stable than the precursors.
If you're dealing with W9x, you should get the 1999-01-16 snapshot
available from Cygnus site at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/site/ .

However, as you note, egcs-1.1.x does not officially support win32. The
good news is that patches available from my site make it a pretty good
win32 compiler, and it's being used by lots of people. See
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/egcs-1.1.2/patches/
for more info.

Regards,
Mumit