compiler and debugger support for ppc750

Scott Howard scott@objsw.com
Wed Mar 3 10:55:00 GMT 1999

Robert J. Brown wrote:

> I am starting a project using a ppc750 cpu, and I was wondering what
> the status of cross-egcs and cross-gdb support was for this chip.  I
> have the option of using either an Intel Pentuim running NT or a HP
> PPA running HPUX to host the compiler.  Linux might also be an option,
> but due to the current setup, it would be a bigger hassle to set up.
>
> 1. Is the ppc750 currently a supported target.

The next release of egcs, due out any day now, is supposed to include
support for the 750.  Hopefully we'll know more when we get a chance to
play with it...

> 2. Are there any special considerations regarding building or using a
>    cross-egcs compiler to support the ppc-750 on either the NT or HPUX
>    hosts?

Should be straightforward, using the standard cross build procedure.
Again, we don't really know until we try it.

> 3. Is cross-gdb currently supported for this target?

I believe the standard release of gdb would support it, provided you had
a stub running in the target and some way (RS-232 serial, or TCP/IP
network) of communicating with it.

> 4. What JTAG, BDM, or Wiggler support is available, and for what host
>    systems?

I believe the 750 has a JTAG port; a couple of companies make interfaces
for JTAG.  Check Corelis for one.  However I don't believe support
currently exists in gdb for this type of interface, a back-end driver
would need to be written.