mulsi3 and other inbuilt functions

Doug Evans devans@cygnus.com
Wed Jul 21 13:58:00 GMT 1999

   From: "Michael K. Elwood" <mkelwood@qsicorp.com>
   Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:24:13 -0600

   >Where is the function mulsi3 hidden? I am compiling with an m68k cross
   >gcc and anytime I put a multiply in my code the compiler generates a
   >call to this mysterious function. Anyone know 1) where it is 2) why it's
   >not 'in-lined' by the code generator and 3) what other special functions
   >like this there are hard coded into the compiler...

   mulsi3 is in libgcc, where the "helper functions" for the compiler live. It
   can be quite substantial on many processors (I'm not familiar with the
   m68k), so inlining may not always be desirable. Try listing symbols in
   libgcc.a with nm if you are curious about the other goodies in there.

And in particular mulsi3 lives in gcc/config/m68k/lb1sf68.asm.

["grep mulsi3 gcc/config/m68k/*" was all I had to do to find it]

As to why it's not inlined, dunno.
What gcc version?  What configure options?  What C example?
What gcc options when compiling the C example?