unknown.h

Quality Quorum qqi@world.std.com
Sun Jan 31 06:45:00 GMT 1999

Hi,

I get exposded to some toolsmithing for embedded targets recently and
I feel that configuration process can be improved a little bit.

I found that it is much easier for me to tweak .h and .c and t- files in
config/xxx directoy, comapring to tweaking hierachical configures.

Unfortunately,

1. Sometimes I have nothig to tweak: targets I am building
   usually got names xxx-unknown-yyy and there are no unknown.h, unknown.c
   and t-unknown

2. If I am tweaking main files I am screweing up possibility
   to build other targets from the same source

3. If I need several variants of the same build I have to manually
   tweak change it before each buld.

What do you think about following ?

Add target xxx-cust*-yyy. Associate it with files custom.[hc]
custom-yyy.[hc] and  t-custom in config directory. Make tm.h
to hold definition of TARGET_CUST as middle part of confiugration
name used.

Default values of all files for any cust* configuration should
provide same functionality as xxx-unknown-yyy, however, tweaking
will be greatly simplified.

Thanks,

Aleksey