Cross compiling linux apps

Brendan Simon bsimon@ctam.com.au
Sun Dec 19 23:31:00 GMT 1999

I have built intel-linux to powerpc-linux cross-compiler (egcs-1.1.2)
some time ago and I have now managed to get the linux kernel compiled
for my powerpc-embedded system.  These were both pretty big tasks but
they I now have a grip on them.

I now need to cross-compile apps and libraries like bash, ncurses,
telnet, etc.  I have mangaged to stuff around with ncurses enough to get
it to configure and compile, but bash is proving more difficult.
Sigh....

My main question is where should I put libraries.  Should I put them
with the glibc libraries that have been installed in
$prefix/$target/$include and $prefix/$target/lib or would it be better
to put them in a seperate directory (eg. /sys/powerpc-linux/usr/include
and /sys/powerpc-linux/usr/lib, etc).  Should I mimic a /usr, /usr/lib,
/usr/local/lib, etc directory tree ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brendan Simon.