unrecognised emulation mode after building powerpc-linux cross

Brendan Simon brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au
Tue Aug 10 22:03:00 GMT 1999

Graham Stoney wrote:

> Daris A Nevil writes:
> [ grab the latest binutils ]
>
> Thanks heaps for the pointer; where exactly _do_ I grab the latest binutils
> from? Are we talking about the latest snapshot from
>     ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils/snapshots ?
>
> I can't do anonymous cvs from behind our firewall, but I was trying to stick to
> "released" versions anyway, hoping they'd be more stable. I've heard mention of
> binutils-2.9.5.* on this list, but the last release was 2.9.1; I'm in a maze
> of twisty versions, all slightly different...

I think binutils > 2.9.1 (ie. 2.9.4, 2.9.5) are internal numbers for Cygwin
realeases.

I used binutils-2.9.1.0.19a which is at the following FTP address.
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/tsx-11/packages/GCC/binutils-2.9.1.0.19a.tar.gz
It worked fine for me.

I found this via the LinuxPPC site at:
http://www.ppc.kernel.org/

I found this via the LinuxPPC cross-compiler page at:
http://members.home.com/mmporter/cross.html

Make sure you have the linux headers unpacked some where.  I put them in
$prefix/$target/linux.  I then made a symbolic link in
$prefix/$target/include/linux to point to $prefix/$target/linux/include/linux.
You also have make sure that $prefix/$target/linux/include/asm points to
$prefix/$target/linux/include/asm-ppc.

I also had trouble with libc picking up the /usr/lib/libc files instead of those
in $prefix/$target/lib.  I think I had to edit $prefix/$target/lib/libc.so so that
the correct libs were referenced.

Brendan Simon.