cross-compile from Unix to WIN32

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 9 14:54:00 GMT 1998

Aldo Mazzilli <aldo.mazzilli@inria.fr> writes:
> Hello,
> I am Aldo MAZZILLI from INRIA Rhone-Alpes (FRANCE), I am working on a
> project dealing with porting of a Unix code to
> win 95 and NT. For that one of the solutions is to generate a
> WIN32API executable program from a Unix platform.
> Can you help me with some informations.
> I would like to know which is the latest tool i should download and what
> are its accessories that should be downloaded for the successful
> cross-compiling

I'd definitely recommend against using the FSF GCC for anything to do with
win32; use egcs instead ( http://egcs.cygnus.com/ ), which has had tons of
win32 specific changes/fixes applied since gcc-2.8.1.

If you want to build cygwin(**) applications (win32 applications that use
the Cygwin DLL for POSIX layer), see the following:

 http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Nov/0177.html

If you want to build mingw(**) (applications that use Microsoft's native
runtime, which is ANSI plus a few POSIX routines), see my message to this
list a few days ago, which basically points you to:

 http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Apr/1043.html

Again, DO NOT use gcc-2.8.1. Use egcs-1.1, plus my patches, or better yet,
use the source tree distributed with Cygnus Cygwin Beta-20 (which includes
all my changes plus some more). For my egcs-1.1 patches:

  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/egcs-1.1/patches/
  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

And for Cygwin b20, see:

  http://www.cygnus.com/

Regards,