Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

ralph_muha@ycrdi.com ralph_muha@ycrdi.com
Tue Jan 20 11:38:00 GMT 1998

Richard Stallman,rms@santafe.edu,Internet writes:
>>    trying to apply intellectual property protection to software whose
>>    proliferation could only increase sales of the hardware, when that
>>    hardware comes with the software anyway?  It sounds rather foolish to

this view may apply to software drivers for PC cards, but in an
embedded system, the software is not a separate entity that may
be replaced by the customer...

>>    me in many instances.  Why not give away the source code?  It is
>>    useless without the hardware to run it on.
>
>I think you're right--I wish that more embedded developers had this view.

then how do you protect a proprietary hardware design if, by disclosing the
details of the operating software, one also gives away hints about the
hardware
that may help competitors to construct similar devices?