downloading compressed program images

Robert J. Brown rj@eli.elilabs.com
Wed Jan 7 11:16:00 GMT 1998

    Joel> Hi,

    Joel> I am looking for information on downloading compressed
    Joel> images of executables to target hardware.  What I have in
    Joel> mind is a program resident on the target which allows
    Joel> maintenance personnel to downloaded via RS-232 a new program
    Joel> image.  The two things I am looking for are:

    Joel>   + compression/decompression software + serial protocol
    Joel> ([XYZ]modem])

    Joel> To minimize download time (executable is ~ 1 Mbyte), I would
    Joel> like to compress the image on the host, download it via some
    Joel> reliable serial protocol, decompress it on the target, and
    Joel> then burn it into flash.

    Joel> I know this has been done before and was looking for
    Joel> suggestions on freely available software to help with the
    Joel> compression/decompression and serial protocol parts.

YOu could get the zmodem source code off the net, though I forget
exactly where it is.  It is Unix based shareware, and might require a
license for commercial use.

You could use a version of Kermit, also available on the net.  I think
this is Gnu style free-ware.  I think kermit also can handle the
communication aspect on bare boards for at least some targets.

For compression, get teh source for the Unix gzip from
prep.ai.mit.edi:pub/gnu ands adapt it as needed.  I take it this is
for RTEMS, so you probably can use both gzip and kermit as filters
with only minimal modifications.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III rj@eli.elilabs.com  http://www.elilabs.com 1 847 705-0424