PPC403GA / RTEMS / gcc

Joel Sherrill <joel@merlin.gcs.redstone.army.mil> joel@merlin.gcs.redstone.army.mil
Mon Mar 10 13:57:00 GMT 1997

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Dom Latter wrote:

> We are currently using RTEMS (Hi Joel!) on the IBM PowerPC403GA part.
> The port of RTEMS and the tools were done in-house, as nothing else
> was available at the time.  We'd now like to move over to the "official"
> ports which are now, I believe, available.  Is anyone else using this

Right now, the "official" CPU-rtems targets are not yet totally available.
binutils 2.7 and our newlib 1.7.0 "knows" rtems but gcc 2.7.2 does not.
gcc 2.8.0 will but it is not available yet.  It should be relatively painless
to base the powerpc-rtems configuration off the powerpc-eabi and that is what
we do.  I am ramping up a project using rtems on a 603e using linux as a
development box.  I intend to use psim (free powerpc simulator) to test
on.  OAR's primary development is now done on Linux.  I know of no problems
using Linux to host the gnu tools.  In some ways, it is easier since you
don't have to be responsible for local installations of so many tools.
The OS already ships with TeX, the GNU tools, etc, etc.

For all who care, OAR and ACT will begin validating GNAT/RTEMS next week.
This marks the first validation effort for an embedded GNAT target. :)

--joel sherrill