Make

Robert J. Brown rj@eli.wariat.org
Wed Feb 26 08:53:00 GMT 1997

    John> I have noticed a problem with Gnu make.  If you are logged
    John> onto a machine that is using an NFS mount for the directory
    John> you are working in, the dates don't work right.  It
    John> complains about the date being in the future, thus causing
    John> make to fail.  If I do the same make on the machine with the
    John> disks being local, everything works fine.  I ran into this
    John> problem trying to build the cross development tools
    John> (binutils, gcc, newlib).  Has anyone found a way around this
    John> on the remote machines?  John Scheer Project Engineer
    John> McDonnell Douglas Aerospace (972) 927-1002

The problem is actually with NFS.  Either your machines on your
network do not all keep the same time, in which case you should instal
NTP (Network Time Protocol) to synchronize the clocks on all the
machines on your network, or your NFS volume exists physically in
another time zone, in which case you should switch all the machines
over to GMT so the times will be the same.  The other possibility is a
stale cache on your local machine, but that would give dates too far
in the past, not into the future.

Does anybody know why make does not always use GMT times to govern its
operation?  I thought that the timestamps in the directory were kept
in internal format.  I know RCS uses GMT internally.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III  rj@eli.wariat.org  http://eli.wariat.org  1 847 705-0424