patch for supporting decoding 8087 fpu-emulation

Wolfgang Sourdeau wolfgang@contre.com
Fri Sep 25 12:27:41 GMT 2026


Hi Jan!


> 
> Sure, why not. Some formal things first: Please send as well-formed 
> patch
> (title, description, patch hunks). It'll also need your Signed-off-by:,
> unless you have a copyright assignment in place with the FSF.

I do not currently have a copyright assignment but doesn;'t this fit the 
trivial contribution of a few lines?
Otherwise, where and how to I write the "Signed-off-by:" comment?

> Further it complicates commenting if patches are sent as (only)
> attachments. Therefore for now only a few basic remarks:

In what form would you like me the send the patch?

> I can't spot how you avoid applying the transformation also on 64-bit
> code. Above you explicitly say it's 16-/32-bit code only which may need
> this.

Because the FPU started being included in the x86 chips with the i486. 
Thus, no emulation is needed for i486 and above. And since those chips 
were released much before 64 bit instructions showed up, this would 
provide support for a feature that does not exist for 64 bit processors 
and will probably never be implemented. Does that answer your question?

> 
> Finally: This will want to come with a testcase.

Sorry, I think I forgot them (I just created a git diff of the local 
changes, which excludes new files)

I will address the comments you made about the coding-style and the 
adjustements you asked and create another patch when it is done.


Thanks!


More information about the Binutils mailing list