[PATCH v2] x86/Intel: avoid infinite recursion in i386_intel_simplify_symbol() (again)

Jan Beulich jbeulich@suse.com
Wed May 20 06:52:39 GMT 2026


On 20.05.2026 01:44, Alan Modra wrote:
> I poked at this problem a little yesterday, and came up with the
> following patch that passes for all the testcases I threw at it.
> 
> ===
> Commit 22f8905d9f38 reintroduced pr30308.  This fix resolves equates
> safely in the presence of symbol loops by using symbol_equated_to.
> Symbols aren't prematurely modified by copying their value
> expressions before i386_intel_simplify does its work.  I figure that
> it is safer to do this for all symbols rather than just the particular
> case of equates, so the in_equate parameter can disappear.

Oh, one other thing: Would you mind either picking the testcase from my
patch and include it here, or extend that to your liking, or make an
entirely different one?

Jan


More information about the Binutils mailing list