[PATCH v2 2/6] ld: Pass $NOPIE_CFLAGS and $NOPIE_LDFLAGS to test pr19719

Jens Remus jremus@linux.ibm.com
Mon Mar 24 16:19:15 GMT 2025


On 24.03.2025 17:07, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 21.03.2025 17:58, Jens Remus wrote:
>> Linker test "pr19719 fun defined" (non PIE) fails on s390x on Fedora 41
>> but not on Ubuntu 24.10.  The reason is that GCC on Ubuntu is configured
>> with --enable-default-pie, so that it defaults to compile with -fPIE
>> and link with -pie, which hides the test fail.
> 
> I'm confused: Generally I'd expect all tests to pass. Yet "hides the test
> fail" suggests the test is actually "expected" to fail on, however without
> it being an xfail. What am I missing?

This test currently fails on s390x on distributions that configure GCC
without "--enable-default-pie", but does not on distributions that do.
As far as I can tell the test expects to be linked as PDE, but gets
linked as PIE if GCC is configured with with "--enable-default-pie".
For PDE this is a known test fail on s390x and I am working on resolving
all of the ld testsuite fails on s390x. Before that I would like to
make the test run deterministic.

Regards,
Jens
-- 
Jens Remus
Linux on Z Development (D3303)
+49-7031-16-1128 Office
jremus@de.ibm.com

IBM

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH; Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Wolfgang Wendt; Geschäftsführung: David Faller; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294
IBM Data Privacy Statement: https://www.ibm.com/privacy/



More information about the Binutils mailing list