[PATCH] x86: restrict gas'es recognition of -s to Solaris

Jan Beulich jbeulich@suse.com
Thu Nov 21 13:44:39 GMT 2024


On 21.11.2024 13:51, Rainer Orth wrote:
>> When there for Solaris compatibility only, also recognize it only there.
>> This way the option becomes available for other possible uses.
> 
> I wonder if this is the best possible way to handle this:
> 
> * -s is only present for Solaris as compatiblity.  At least gcc doesn't
>   use it at all.
> 
> * Besides, gcc has done away with Stabs and gdb is following suite (or
>   has already), so Stabs become increasingly irrelevant.
> 
> * Keeping the (effectively unused) option on Solaris, but using it for
>   something else would mean that `something else' isn't available on
>   Solaris.  Just a guarantee for user confusion, I believe.

That "something" could still be available there via long option. Solaris
is, imo, confusing enough already anyway, and hence it shouldn't come as a
surprise to anyone that some option may need spelling differently.

> In short, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just reject -s everywhere
> instead.

If someone had proposed a patch to do so, I probably wouldn't have objected
(so long as a fair reason was provided). But personally I think this would
be going too far.

Jan


More information about the Binutils mailing list