[RFC] add regenerate Makefile target

Christophe Lyon christophe.lyon@linaro.org
Mon Mar 18 17:28:16 GMT 2024

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 at 15:25, Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com> wrote:

> Eric> Also there are the files generated by cgen, too, which no one seems to
> Eric> know how to regenerate, either.
>
> I thought I sent out some info on this a while ago.
>
> Anyway what I do is make a symlink to the cgen source tree in the
> binutils-gdb source tree, then configure with --enable-cgen-maint.
> Then I make sure to build with 'make GUILE=guile3.0'.
>
> It could be better but that would require someone to actually work on
> cgen.
>
> Eric> And then in bfd there's that chew
> Eric> program in the doc subdir. And then in the binutils subdirectory
> Eric> proper there's that sysinfo tool for generating sysroff.[ch].
>
> gdb used to use a mish-mash of different approaches, some quite strange,
> but over the last few years we standardized on Python scripts that
> generate files.  They're written to be seamless -- just invoke in the
> source dir; the output is then just part of your patch.  No special
> configure options are needed.  On the whole this has been a big
> improvement.

Good to know that this is perceived as a big improvement, that's a
strong argument for moving to a script.

I'm not up-to-date with gdb's policy about patches: are they supposed
to be posted with or without the regenerated parts included?
IIUC they are not included in patch submissions for binutils and gcc,
which makes the pre-commit CI miss some patches.

Thanks,

Christophe