RFC: Add ELF note for description with JSON data

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 16:46:01 GMT 2023


Hi Sebastian,

> Independent of this, selecting the output format of readelf (and other tools) would be nice.

Yes, sorry.  I did not read your original email properly.


 > +#define NT_GNU_JSON            6       /* Contains arbitrary JSON data.  */

I would have no objection to adding this particular note type.
It would be best if if this was agreed upon by the ELF ABI folks though.


 > Optionally, we could add JSON output to readelf. One option would be to do this using libxo:

Personally I would prefer not to complicate readelf by adding another
dependency.  Are there tools that can read JSON output from a pipe ?

I was thinking that it might be reasonable to add an option to readelf
along the lines of --note-body-parser=<program> and have it pass the
contents of any note it is displaying to <program>.  This would allow
for any kind of formatting inside notes, and would not add any dependencies
to readelf.

Cheers
   Nick



More information about the Binutils mailing list