GNU Binutils 2.40 released
Sat Jan 14 15:32:41 GMT 2023
We are pleased to announce that version 2.40 of the GNU Binutils project
sources have been released and are now available for download at:
As an experiment these tarballs were made with the new "-r <date>"
option supported by the src-release.sh script. This attempts to make
reproducible tarballs by sorting the files and passing the
"--mtime=<date>" option to tar. The date used for these tarballs was
obtained by running:
git log -1 --format=%cd --date=format:%F bfd/version.m4
This release contains numerous bug fixes, and also the following new
* Support for more Intel, ARM, Risc-V architecture extensions.
* Support for generating and reading compressed debug sections
using the zstd compression format.
* Support for the SFRAME unwind format.
* Support for the CTF debug format.
* The objdump tool now has an option to enhance its disassembly
output by showing all of the symbols that match an address,
instead of just the first symbol.
* The objdump tool's disassembler is now also able to use colors to
distinguish differents parts of each instruction. This feature
is only supported by a limited set of architectures at the
* The linker (ld) has a new command line option to disable the
generation of warning and error messages. This can be useful
when it is known that the link will not be successful, but there
is still a need to create a binary.
For more information see:
In addition there is now a GNU Binutils wiki site, which attempts to
answer some of the more social needs of the GNU Binutils project.
This is still a work in progress however, and its contents, format and
location may change in the future:
Our thanks go out to all of the binutils contributors, past and
present, for helping to make this release possible.
GNU Binutils co-chief maintainer
More information about the Binutils