RFC: Adding a SECURITY.md document to the Binutils

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 08:43:05 GMT 2023

Hi Guys,

> For consistency though, I'd suggest to not use any file extension at all.  None
> of the top-level text files currently have an extension.

Except that I think that there is an expectation that the file will have an
extension.  For example see this wikipedia article in favour of security.txt:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security.txt

Then again, repositories like github seem to prefer a security.md file:

   https://docs.github.com/en/code-security/getting-started/adding-a-security-policy-to-your-repository

I think that there are web crawlers out there that look for this type of
document and can handle either extension.  But I am not sure if they will
work with no extension at all.