[PATCH 1/2] opcodes/arm: add missing ';' characters

Richard Earnshaw Richard.Earnshaw@foss.arm.com
Thu Sep 22 12:39:50 GMT 2022



On 22/09/2022 10:08, Andrew Burgess wrote:
> Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@foss.arm.com> writes:
> 
>> On 16/09/2022 14:21, Andrew Burgess via Binutils wrote:
>>> I spotted a couple of places where the ARM disassembler produces what
>>> seems to be some comment style text '@ Impl Def' without including a
>>> comment character ';'.  In other places where we have similar messages
>>> a comment character is emitted, so I suspect this was just an
>>> oversight.
>>>
>>> Fixed in this commit by adding two new comment characters, and
>>> updating the expected test results.
>>
>> No, this is incorrect. @ is the comment marker on Arm; ';' is the
>> statement separator.
>>
> 
> Wow!  OK.  So, I tested what you said, and you'd absolutely correct.
> But does that mean all the places where the disassembler prints what (I
> believe) is clearly a comment without printing '@' is actually a bug?
> Or am I missing something really subtle here?
> 
> Here are just a few of the many examples that can be found in the gas
> testsuite for ARM:
> 
>    sub     r0, r0, #32, 24 ; 0x2000
>    add     r0, r0, #32, 24 ; 0x2000
>    nop                     ; (mov r0, r0)
>    subhi   pc, pc, #805306368      ; 0x30000000
>    ldrh    r3, [pc, #-8]   ; 8 <foo>
>    ldrsb   r2, [r3, #255]  ; 0xff
>    ldrsh   r1, [r4, #-250] ; 0xffffff06
>    ldrsb   r1, [r5, #240]  ; 0xf0
>    strh    r2, [pc, #48]   ; 68 <bar>
> 
> There are many more, but they are all pretty similar in content.
> 
> Should I instead propose changing all these to use '@' ?
> 
> Thanks,
> Andrew
> 

Technically, yes.  But I don't think we've ever claimed that you could 
paste the output of the disassembler into an assembler and directly use 
the result.  So while this would be good to fix, I don't think it's a 
disaster.

R.


More information about the Binutils mailing list