[PATCH 1/3] RISC-V: re-arrange opcode table for consistent alias handling

Nelson Chu nelson@rivosinc.com
Fri Sep 16 09:53:24 GMT 2022


On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 3:42 PM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:
>
> On 15.09.2022 04:30, Nelson Chu wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 9:02 PM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:
> >> --- a/opcodes/riscv-opc.c
> >> +++ b/opcodes/riscv-opc.c
> >> @@ -290,9 +290,9 @@ const struct riscv_opcode riscv_opcodes[
> >>  {"jalr",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s,j",     MATCH_JALR, MASK_JALR, match_opcode, INSN_JSR },
> >>  {"j",           0, INSN_CLASS_C, "Ca",        MATCH_C_J, MASK_C_J, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS|INSN_BRANCH },
> >>  {"j",           0, INSN_CLASS_I, "a",         MATCH_JAL, MASK_JAL|MASK_RD, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS|INSN_BRANCH },
> >> +{"jal",         0, INSN_CLASS_I, "a",         MATCH_JAL|(X_RA << OP_SH_RD), MASK_JAL|MASK_RD, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS|INSN_JSR },
> >>  {"jal",         0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,a",       MATCH_JAL, MASK_JAL, match_opcode, INSN_JSR },
> >>  {"jal",        32, INSN_CLASS_C, "Ca",        MATCH_C_JAL, MASK_C_JAL, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS|INSN_JSR },
> >> -{"jal",         0, INSN_CLASS_I, "a",         MATCH_JAL|(X_RA << OP_SH_RD), MASK_JAL|MASK_RD, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS|INSN_JSR },
> >>  {"call",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,c",       (X_T1 << OP_SH_RS1), (int) M_CALL, match_never, INSN_MACRO },
> >>  {"call",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "c",         (X_RA << OP_SH_RS1)|(X_RA << OP_SH_RD), (int) M_CALL, match_never, INSN_MACRO },
> >>  {"tail",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "c",         (X_T1 << OP_SH_RS1), (int) M_CALL, match_never, INSN_MACRO },
> >> @@ -310,13 +310,13 @@ const struct riscv_opcode riscv_opcodes[
> >>  {"move",        0, INSN_CLASS_C, "d,CV",      MATCH_C_MV, MASK_C_MV, match_c_add, INSN_ALIAS },
> >>  {"move",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s",       MATCH_ADDI, MASK_ADDI|MASK_IMM, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >>  {"zext.b",      0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s",       MATCH_ANDI|ENCODE_ITYPE_IMM (255), MASK_ANDI | MASK_IMM, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >> -{"andi",        0, INSN_CLASS_C, "Cs,Cw,Co",  MATCH_C_ANDI, MASK_C_ANDI, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >> -{"andi",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s,j",     MATCH_ANDI, MASK_ANDI, match_opcode, 0 },
> >>  {"and",         0, INSN_CLASS_C, "Cs,Cw,Ct",  MATCH_C_AND, MASK_C_AND, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >>  {"and",         0, INSN_CLASS_C, "Cs,Ct,Cw",  MATCH_C_AND, MASK_C_AND, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >>  {"and",         0, INSN_CLASS_C, "Cs,Cw,Co",  MATCH_C_ANDI, MASK_C_ANDI, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >>  {"and",         0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s,t",     MATCH_AND, MASK_AND, match_opcode, 0 },
> >>  {"and",         0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s,j",     MATCH_ANDI, MASK_ANDI, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >> +{"andi",        0, INSN_CLASS_C, "Cs,Cw,Co",  MATCH_C_ANDI, MASK_C_ANDI, match_opcode, INSN_ALIAS },
> >> +{"andi",        0, INSN_CLASS_I, "d,s,j",     MATCH_ANDI, MASK_ANDI, match_opcode, 0 },
> >
> > Doesn't ANDI a base instruction?
>
> Of course. Like for all aliases, there is a corresponding base
> instruction. I guess I simply don't understand what you mean to
> express with the question.
>
> >  The operand "d,s,j" of AND is an
> > alias of ANDI, so the original order seems correct.  Always dump *.i
> > instructions to the non-i type looks weird, and llvm-dump seems has
> > the same behavior as current GNU objdump.
> >
> > % cat tmp.s
> > and a0, a1, 0x10
> > % riscv64-unknown-elf-as tmp.s -o tmp.o
> > % riscv64-unknown-elf-objdump -d tmp.o
> >
> > tmp.o:     file format elf64-littleriscv
> >
> >
> > Disassembly of section .text:
> >
> > 0000000000000000 <.text>:
> >
> >    0: 0105f513          and a0,a1,16
>
> What's weird about that? And if that's weird, would you mind spelling
> out the conditions under which aliases are to be preferred over base
> instructions when disassembling? There actually is a "These aliases are
> for assembly but not disassembly" comment somewhere in the file,
> clarifying for two of the aliases that they ought to come after their
> base insns. But for all other aliases which aren't simply a different
> (but not shorter) name for the same insn (e.g. "bgt" vs "blt") I'd
> assume the aliases should be preferred, for the reason stated in the
> patch description. That said - I can see it being a matter of taste
> for <insn>i vs <insn>, but if so this should be spelled out somewhere.

Yeah, that's what I worried about.  At the beginning, I think dumping
a base instruction as another base instruction looks weird.  But these
days I also noticed that - we also dump compressed instructions as
base i without "c." prefixes, so why I feel weird is just that I'm
used to it because of historical behavior.  I have no objection to
this, so please go ahead if there are no objections for a period of
time.  But if there are any objections, then we probably can mark
these aliases by something like INSN_ALIAS_CANNOT_DUMP in the opcode
table, and that's what Kito suggested to me before, but I didn't think
it was a serious problem at the time.

Thanks
Nelson

> > % llvm-objdump -d tmp.o
> >
> > tmp.o: file format elf64-littleriscv
> >
> > Disassembly of section .text:
> >
> > 0000000000000000 <$x>:
> >        0: 13 f5 05 01  andi a0, a1, 16
>
> I don't think I view llvm as a "canonical reference". Perhaps they merely
> followed the GNU behavior?
>
> Jan


More information about the Binutils mailing list