Are big tests allowed in binutils?

lkcl luke.leighton@gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:26:33 GMT 2022

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 2:43 PM Nick Alcock <nick.alcock@oracle.com> wrote:

> preferred form for modification in this case is pretty clearly not the
> generated testcases but the autogenerators themselves (and any input to
> them), so the GPL requires you to provide the generators too. They don't
> have to be in the binutils repo, but honestly putting them in there so
> people can manually run them if needed seems like a good idea. (Stick
> in simple pointers to the deps as well, particularly if just figuring ou
> what the deps *are* would otherwise be difficult, as "absolutely mental"
> suggests it would be).

*click*. of course.  you don't commit the source code of llvm to
the binutils repo just because it's a tool that's required, even
though the GPL states clearly that the tool(s) must be *available*.

(i mention llvm deliberately because, like the tools we use to
auto-generate the tests, it's also not GPL-licensed).

describing where those tools are is a good call.

l.