making stabs visible to gdb

Tavis Ormandy taviso@gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 01:44:00 GMT 2022

On 2022-08-05, Tom Tromey wrote:
>>> Also, is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
>
> In the gdb test suite, we have some Tcl code that makes it relatively
> simple to create synthetic DWARF.  So, I'd consider extracting that and
> using it to describe your program.

Hmm thanks, it kinda works - but it generates tons of warnings like
this:

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x8129250 in read in psymtab, but not in
symtab.)
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x8129250 in read in psymtab, but not in
symtab.)
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x8129250 in read in psymtab, but not in
symtab.)

It's so close to working nicely, but I think these warnings can't be hidden.

What do you think about removing that warning?

> Nick> There may be a gdb command that associates an address
> Nick> with a symbol name, but I do not know what it is.  Sorry.
>
> There isn't one that does exactly this, but you can probably use the
> 'compile' command to achieve it.

Do you have an example of what you had in mind?

I thought you might mean something like this, but I couldn't figure out
the details:

compile code -raw void (*example)(unsigned *foo, int bar) = (void*)(0x8005bba); void _gdb_expr(){};

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso@sdf.org