gprofng not quite ready for prime time?

Jan Beulich jbeulich@suse.com
Wed Aug 10 06:58:50 GMT 2022

On 09.08.2022 20:17, Ruud van der Pas wrote:
>> Initially I merely noticed version.texi trying to be created in the
>> source tree, which of course won't work if that one is read-only.
>
> This is oversight. I will create a bugzilla bug report and address this
> right away.

Thanks.

>> But then I further noticed that the testsuite fails to build and/or
>> run various things, first and foremost because of (but not
>> necessarily limited to) Java not being available.
>
> This work was done by Vladimir. He is currently away, but we will look
> into this no later than this week.
>
>> Despite (or maybe
>> as a result of) this the running of the (mostly failing) testsuite
>> took a non-negligible amount of time for the just 5 tests (on
>> x86-64).
>
> This is in the nature of the beast. As Luis already mentioned, we run
> the tests in a fixed amount of time. We do so to get enough samples to
> verify the functionality.
>
> We are definitely interested in addressing this if it is considered to
> take too much time. For example, make the fixed time a user tunable, with
> a certain default, or alternatively provide feedback on the expected
> duration of the test(s) to the builder. Any other suggestion is welcome!

Earlier this year (iirc) some overly long lasting gas tests have been
disabled / altered. None of those took minutes. So I'm inclined to say
that anything which takes longer than a couple of seconds should be
off by default. Of course the threshold lowers as more tests are added,
unless a way is found to parallelize their running.

Jan