gprofng not quite ready for prime time?

Jan Beulich jbeulich@suse.com
Tue Aug 9 13:57:57 GMT 2022

Initially I merely noticed version.texi trying to be created in the
source tree, which of course won't work if that one is read-only.

But then I further noticed that the testsuite fails to build and/or
run various things, first and foremost because of (but not
necessarily limited to) Java not being available. Despite (or maybe
as a result of) this the running of the (mostly failing) testsuite
took a non-negligible amount of time for the just 5 tests (on
x86-64).

Should this component perhaps not have been part of binutils 2.39,
or at least not be enabled by default?

Jan