Autogenerate ChangeLog commits (was: [committed] arm:...)

Richard Earnshaw Richard.Earnshaw@foss.arm.com
Wed May 12 09:54:25 GMT 2021

On 11/05/2021 21:05, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021, Christophe Lyon via Binutils wrote:
>> This patch causes a regression in the ld tests:
>> FAIL:Thumb-Thumb farcall v8-M Mainline
>>
>> Can you check?
>
> Even worse, no ChangeLog entry was committed! ;-)
>
> Everyone,
> On the more serious side, how about adopting the wonderful gcc
> commit-hook and scripts that takes care of this, already?
>
> I'm sure most other people, including me, will eventually forget
> about it committing ChangeLog entries too.
>
> brgds, H-P
> PS. Not a debate about having ChangeLogs at all, please.

Apologies, I thought we /had/ adopted the GCC model, which is why the
commit log contains

bfd/

	* elf32-arm.c (using_thumb2): Correctly handle Tag_THUMB_ISA_use
	values 0 and 3.

My vote would be for consistency with the other repos; there's nothing
worse than having subtly different rules for each project.

I can put up with things not being 100% optimal if they are consistent.
  But not 100% optimal and inconsistent is just a nightmare.

R.