readelf -aW: The decoding of unwind sections for machine type Advanced Micro Devices X86-64 is not currently supported.

Jim Wilson jimw@sifive.com
Mon May 3 19:22:15 GMT 2021

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 7:20 PM Peng Yu via Binutils <binutils@sourceware.org>
wrote:

> I see the following message of the output of `readelf -aW`. I don't
> find a doc for it. Could anybody explain what unwind sections are?
> What info do they contain. Why is this not supported yet?
>
> https://www.uclibc.org/docs/elf-64-gen.pdf
>
> "The decoding of unwind sections for machine type Advanced Micro
> Devices X86-64 is not currently supported."

readelf -a enables readelf -u.  The purpose of the -u option is to print
target dependent unwind info.  But x86_64 does not need or require any
target dependent unwind info, so there is nothing to print.  Yes, the
message is a little confusing in this case.  You are welcome to submit a
bug report for that.

unwind info is used for unwinding stack frames, i.e. setting the process
state back to a parent function stack frame and resuming execution there,
and is used for C++ Exception Handling, and can be useful for debugging.

Jim