2.37 branch and ChangeLogs

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 06:28:03 GMT 2021

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 12:56:39AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> the existence of the ChangeLog entry spam in the commit message is orthogonal
> to your point about having some sort of audit trail in released sources.  i
> agree shipping the git log in the release tarballs is a good idea, but that
> doesn't mean we need to waste any more developer time and energy on ChangeLog
> entries.  hence, it is superior to the gcc flow.

Heh, the gdb essays in git commit messages used to annoy me a little
when looking for binutils changes, until I discovered
  git log bfd opcodes binutils gas ld gprof
or variants of that.  :-)

More seriously, if the FSF is OK with what gdb is intending, I'm happy
enough to go along too.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM