Making *-netbsd-* to mean ELF not a.out for all CPUs

John Ericson mail@johnericson.me
Fri Jun 18 01:59:58 GMT 2021


Thanks Nick. Glad to hear something like this might be acceptable.

While working on the patch, I noticed remnants of a "netbsdpe". I confirmed[1] with downstream that PE/COFF support was removed from NetBSD a decade ago. I think I will start by removing support for that in binutils, before getting onto my main goal, as that makes some of the wildcards/fall-through easier to read about.

John

[1]: https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-toolchain/2021/06/16/msg003996.html

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, at 7:18 AM, Nick Clifton via Gcc wrote:
> Hi John,
> 
> > But they did offer some tentative support for my second suggestion of changing the meaning of bare "netbsd" --- "netbsdaout" would still be available to unambiguously request a.out for anyone that wants it.
> 
> I think that this would be OK for the binutils, providing that when configuring for
> just "netbsd" there was a prominentant message in the config log saying something like:
> "netbsd format now treated as ELF based.  Use netbsdaout if you want a.out format files".
> (Probably with slightly better wording than that).
> 
> Cheers
>    Nick


More information about the Binutils mailing list