2.37 branch and ChangeLogs

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 15:17:30 GMT 2021

Hi Guys,

  It is time to start thinking about the 2.37 release.  My current plan
  is cut the branch on Sunday 4th July and then make the release on
  Sunday 18th July.  So that means that now is the time to get any new
  features into the sources and/or ping the maintainers for any bugs
  that you would like fixed before the release.

  Once the 2.37 branch has been created, we are going to relax the
  requirement that patch submissions include text for changelog
  entry(s).  Instead we are going to use the details from the git commit
  messages.  This does mean that these messages must include accurate
  details concerning the author(s) and contents of the patches.

  Changelog entries can still be submitted with a patch, should the
  author so wish, but the commit messages must also be complete.

  I will be investigating how to collect together git commit messages
  and turn them into changelog like files for when a release is
  generated, so that releases will still retain full details of the
  patches that they contain.