How do I fix the ld program (the linker for gcc and g++)

Paul Koning paulkoning@comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 13:35:23 GMT 2021

> On Jul 16, 2021, at 9:02 AM, Nick Clifton via Binutils <binutils@sourceware.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Evan,
>
>> Currently the ld program got corrupted after I accidentally operated make with root privileges (FreeImage from
>
> This is really a question for your distribution's maintainers...
>
>> How do I fix this problem? Should I just save all my important files somewhere else and reinstall linux on my computer ?
>
> Yes.  You cannot rebuild the linker without having a working linker present
> in the build system, so reinstalling is the only real option available.

Reinstalling the package that contains ld (presumably "binutils") would be sufficient if that's the total damage.  But I can't see how "operating make with root privs" would damage ld to begin with.  That raises the question what actually went wrong, and how much else in the system has been damaged by this security violation.  In other words, while wipe and full OS reinstall is a drastic solution, it may be prudent here.

	paul