new gas directives with precise control over endian & size

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Thu Jan 14 03:58:08 GMT 2021

On 14 Jan 2021 13:46, Alan Modra via Binutils wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:02:09PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On 14 Jan 2021 12:18, Alan Modra via Binutils wrote:
> > > Fixups in gas are going to be a problem, unless you only allow
> > > expressions that can be resolved at the point they appear.
> >
> > sure, but .byte/.word/etc... already have that problem right ?
>
> Many targets support fixups with a range of sizes.  What they
> don't do in general is support fixups with opposite endian.

gotcha.  yes, relocs would be ... difficult.  my needs are limited
to constants as symbols already failed to fit: i need 16-bit's, and
using x86_64 quickly exceeds that by default.  not sure if there's
a way to enforce that constraint in gas to avoid surprising people.
-mike