Installation question

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:28:46 GMT 2021

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:07:37PM +0000, Gary Oblock via Binutils wrote:
> How do I go about installing binutils in my own directory
> instead of /usr/local and what do I need to do to get
> my compiler under development to use them.

If you want things to go as smoothly as possible, configure both gcc
and binutils with exactly the same --prefix specifying the root of
their installation tree.  Always configure from the top of the source
tree, ie. don't run ld/configure or gas/configure etc.  You may avoid
building gdb with --disable-gdb --disable-gdbserver --disable-sim
--disable-readline --disable-libdecnumber if using binutils-gdb git
sources.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message [snip]
Posting this sort of legal nonsense to a public mailing list isn't
clever.  To put it bluntly, it is the email etiquette equivalent of
going into a public square and shouting "Do not listen to me"!  With
an unsaid "I am an idiot".  Some people will follow the instructions
and immediately delete such a message, resulting in your emails being
unanswered.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM