file permissions when stripping under fakeroot

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Sun Feb 7 05:58:48 GMT 2021

On 2/7/21 10:56 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 2/7/21 10:09 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
>>  From local testing, glibc-2.33 appears to be needed in combination with
>> binutils-2.36.1 for this issue to occur.  This would explain the issue
>> being present on rawhide and not on release Fedora versions.
>
> I got myself an arch vm and can confirm this now.  In fact,
> binutils-2.36.1 needs to be *built* with glibc-2.33 to reproduce the
> problem, simply upgrading glibc does not seem to cause the problem.  So
> it's either a symbol version bump or header change in glibc that's
> responsible.
>
> Could you please file a bug in sourceware against glibc and cc me
> (siddhesh@sourceware.org)?  I'm on the road today but I'll surely take a
> look at it tomorrow.

Wait wait wait, I know what this is, it's not a bug in glibc.  The stat
system call interface was updated to use newfstatat and it just looks
like fakeroot does not recognize it yet.  So fakeroot needs to be
updated to recognize and override that system call to return 0 (and
emulate root privs) instead of the UID.

Siddhesh