file permissions when stripping under fakeroot

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Sat Feb 6 17:25:14 GMT 2021

On 2/6/21 10:45 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Revert "binutils: Make smart_rename safe too"
>>>
>>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=355e5f2ffbc0db0c6db77586d879553b72958187
>>>

>> I'm afraid I can't reproduce this on Fedora off the 2.36.1 tag or off
>> master.  Could you let me know the fakeroot version+distro you're using?
>>

> fakeroot version 1.25.3 on Arch Linux.

Still no luck, could you share your binutils configuration too?

Perhaps reverting the following patches could work, given that they're
the other two patches from the set, other than the above that got
reverted.  It shouldn't affect permissions of the file, but could be an
interesting experiment and could point to some other issue.

commit 1a1c3b4cc17687091cff5a368bd6f13742bcfdf8