file permissions when stripping under fakeroot

Allan McRae allan@archlinux.org
Sat Feb 6 16:56:45 GMT 2021

On 7/2/21 2:20 am, Allan McRae via Binutils wrote:
> With binutils 2.36.1, I notice a change of behaviour under fakeroot when
> stripping files.
>
> With binutils-2.36 (and earlier):
>
> $ fakeroot
> $ ls -l
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16088 Feb  7 02:06 hello
> $ strip hello
> $ ls -l
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14408 Feb  7 02:06 hello
>

> With binutils-2.36.1:
>
> $ fakeroot
> $ ls -l
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16088 Feb  7 02:08 hello
> $ strip hello
> $ ls -l
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 allan allan 14408 Feb  7 02:08 hello
>

> Is this a binutils issue, or a fakeroot issue exposed by binutils
> changes?   Either way, distributions that package under fakeroot are in
> for some fun as files will be owned by the build user GID and not root.

The following commit is the first to have this issue:

Revert "binutils: Make smart_rename safe too"

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=355e5f2ffbc0db0c6db77586d879553b72958187