libctf: improving the compressor, optionally-available algorithms

Nick Alcock nick.alcock@oracle.com
Fri Feb 5 19:38:58 GMT 2021

On 5 Feb 2021, Matthias Klose stated:

> On 2/5/21 5:38 PM, Nick Alcock wrote:
>>>
>>> GCC currently supports zstd for it's streaming format, and what I know from
>>> compressing distro packages, zstd is faster for decompressing with slightly
>>> bigger compressed data.
>>
>> Hm, bigger compressed data than *zlib*? That's rather surprising to me.
>> Oh well.
>
> sorry, no, a little bigger than xz.

Oh right, that's what I was assuming, one reason why I suggested it as
the default compressor (if available) rather than xz -- well, that and
the *compression* speed, since the compression penalty is paid whenever
anyone links something, whether the .ctf is ever used at all. I really
don't want to slow down the linker.