libctf: improving the compressor, optionally-available algorithms

Nick Alcock nick.alcock@oracle.com
Fri Feb 5 16:38:43 GMT 2021

On 5 Feb 2021, Matthias Klose said:
> On 2/5/21 1:17 PM, Nick Alcock via Binutils wrote:
>> To anyone concerned: does this seem sensible? Is it actually totally
>> impractical to assume that anything other than zlib is available ever?
>> (I hope not).
>
> GCC currently supports zstd for it's streaming format, and what I know from
> compressing distro packages, zstd is faster for decompressing with slightly
> bigger compressed data.

Hm, bigger compressed data than *zlib*? That's rather surprising to me.
Oh well.

(Obviously, a given compression format is only worth implementing if it
produces smaller output than zlib most of the time. This use case is not
really optimizing for decompression speed.)