Moving away from ChangeLog's?

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Aug 11 13:20:45 GMT 2021

Hi Guys,

On 8/5/21 3:17 PM, Richard Earnshaw via Binutils wrote:
> I think we still need to sort out precisely what needs to happen for folders that are synced from GCC (primarily libiberty and parts of include).

A good point.  My current plan is that as part of the process of creating
a new release I will create a log of all the changes made since the last
release (using 'git log --stat' maybe - I am not sure yet) and include this
in the tarball.  (Maybe one file per major sub-directory ?  Again this is
to be decided).

For sources that are sync'ed from gcc I will also try to get the logs from
gcc and include them too.  I am however only planning on doing this for
releases (point and major), but not at other times.  So if these sync'ed
sources are updated between releases then I would expect/hope that whomever
does the work will include a full summary in the git commit message.