Readelf: --wide as default if output is redirected

Katharina Bogad katharina@bogad.at
Wed Sep 16 16:06:12 GMT 2020

Hi list,

as I spent the last hour or so trying to figure out why some function names
in the output of readelf -r cannot be found and then realizing that readelf has
silently truncated them, I was wondering if it was possible to make --wide the
default if the output is redirected (as I was reading it in a pager anyways).

Now, as this is a pure quality of life improvement, I wanted to speak to someone
before submitting a patch. I know that changing any API, especially in a tool
as widely used like binutils is a huge deal, but I want to discuss this anyways.

Best,
Katharina