pdp11 gas/testsuite FAILs: *ABS* vs. .text

Stephen Casner casner@acm.org
Fri Sep 4 00:39:17 GMT 2020

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020, Paul Koning wrote:

> That seems reasonable.  Neither file has a section declaration in
> it.  Did the default section change from abs to text?

I found that .text is set as the initial section as assembly begins;
that code is old.  But more to the point I found that the change is in
objdump, not in gas.  The current objdump shows .text rather than
*ABS* for an absreloc.o file assembled with a pre-2.35 gas just as it
does in a current testsuite run.  And conversely the old objdump shows
*ABS* for both the old and new absreloc.o files.  So I'm looking
further at objdump.

                                                        -- Steve