RFC: Conscious language in the Binutils

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Mon Nov 23 16:17:57 GMT 2020

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020, Florian Weimer via Binutils wrote:
> * Paul Koning via Binutils:
>
> > I agree.  But if you've been watching US politics for a number of
> > years now you've observed the growth of the "cancel culture".  That's
> > what Alan encountered: the approach in some circles that freedom of
> > speech is bad, and attempts to use your freedom of speech to say
> > something that circle disapproves of will be answered by strenuous
> > efforts to silence you and destroy your livelihood.
>
> To me, this looks like the usual enforcement of work-related policies.
> (I think the original email came with an official company footer.)
>
> A company can only exercise its free speech rights effectively if it
> restricts what kind of statements employees can make on its behalf.

Your "can make on its behalf" infer a reference to a message
from Alan.  A quick look shows that no, all messages from Alan
originate from his personal gmail address.

None had any sort of company footer.  Replies from other people
may have had, like yours.  On the other hand, I don't consider
your message as speaking for Red Hat, whatever the official
company position.

brgds, H-P