RFC: Conscious language in the Binutils

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Fri Nov 6 02:05:08 GMT 2020

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020, Nick Clifton via Binutils wrote:
>   Before making any alterations however I wanted to see if there were
>   any comments, concerns or issues regarding this proposal.  Does anyone
>   have anything that they wish to say ?

I oppose.

And before irony and sarcasm is branded as hate speech (too
late?), since you asked for "anything", please humor me in
getting a fit of Tourette's syndrom out of my system:

- Rewording the dual-term master/slave is *excluding* certain
communities.

- It's misleading to just change *comments and identifiers*
using words related to master/slave (et al); you need to also
change the *semantics* of the code, such that there's not one of
a kind controlling the other, but all are equal and of the same
kind.

- The patch is incomplete, missing a rewrite of the term "fat binary".

- Newspeak is *so* 1980s.

- FIXME: something something "object code".

brgds, H-P