Auto update ChangeLog for binutils+gdb commits?

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Fri May 29 13:57:22 GMT 2020

> From: Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 06:15:01 -0600
> Cc: Simon Marchi <simark@simark.ca>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com>,
>  Binutils <binutils@sourceware.org>, GDB <gdb@sourceware.org>
>
> I'd also be open to changing the format to something requiring zero
> manual intervention.  For example, if we could have a commit script that
> simply listed the files and didn't require editing in the names of the
> functions.

Having the names of the functions in the log is one of the most
important reasons for following the ChangeLog format.  If it were not
for that reason, we could let people write free-text log messages,
because file names are easily gleaned from the VCS log.