Auto update ChangeLog for binutils+gdb commits?

Tom Tromey tom@tromey.com
Fri May 29 12:44:30 GMT 2020

Martin> For generation of ChangeLog template, you can use:
Martin> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=contrib/mklog.py;h=243edbb15c522169709902b27a8558c6e0755107;hb=HEAD

Can it be used without manual intervention?
Or do I still have to edit in all the function names?
Could you run it on some recent gdb commits and show the output?

Martin> About the merges: it's a pain to make a backport (a.k.a) as you're very likely
Martin> conflict in ChangeLog entries. Having the ChangeLog entries in message one
Martin> can do simple git cherry-pick and it's done.

This is emphatically not the case for me.

Martin> About the date-updating: it's also pain to always update a timestamp before
Martin> a patch is installed.

What I'm saying is that it isn't a pain.  It's a single command before
pushing.  I can't remember the last time the scripts failed but it's
surely been more than 5 years.

I write a lot of patches in gdb and I have already filed off as many
annoying parts as I could -- which is why my default stance is not to
want to change.  Changing implies that maybe I'd have to redo this work.

Tom